*~Nothing much~*

Tuesday, November 28, 2006
 
I remember this incident that took place when I was in Primary Three.

Primary Three in Singapore, is when all kids go thru this thing call Gifted Examination. Basically you take the first round of exam in your own school. If you do well (i have no idea what is the definition of that...) you get to sit for a second round of exam in another venue, and if you do well again, you go into those special schools where all the gifted people study together. I had just gone over to Singapore a year ago... barely understand my Singlish, erm... I mean English... so honestly, who the hell gives a shit about this exam right? I was later told that many parents in Singapore prepare their kids for this exam (wow... so you prepare them to be geniuses. Einstein will turn in his grave...) but yeah... I took the test unprepared... just wrote what I think is the correct answer and submitted it.

My form teacher at that time, came back in the 2nd half of the day and was fuming. She taught us English at that time... a subject that I was totally horrible in even though I was in th A class (I was pretty good in Maths and duh.... Chinese.). So I had thought that ooops... maybe we are so lousy that no one got through the first round...

To my surprise, she told us that she had graded our scripts, the English part of it... and apparently someone she expected to get good score didn't get it... and someone that she didn't expect to do well, did well. Then she glare at me... and said, so you are really so capable, then you better make sure towards the end of year, you go fight for that ABC award (i forgot whats the name for that.... it is suppose to be for student with top result in English and Mother Tongue.) and she announced that it was three of my classmates and me.

I was really puzzled.

I had always thought that doing well, performing well and exceeding one's expectation is something to cheer for... not to be angry about.... but obviously my teacher was pissed off! I was Primary Three... but I never quite figured that out... she is my teacher... we are all her students... why was she fuming when one of her student is did well?

I like to share my happiness. If I am happy, I like to go around telling everyone... and hopefully people can be happy too. However, as I grow older, I realise that people get really mad at me for doing that. It is as if i am flaunting, showing off and bragging to them about what I am so happy about. While in actual fact, I just want to spread the happiness. So even though I still want to do that now, I shuddup and keep quiet whenever something good happen to me. I tot usuall when people did something wrong, then they keep quiet. but apparently in this world, you also need to keep quiet if you do something right. hahaha... explain that to me?!

So yeah... recently, something good happened to me. I was told not to tell anyone... coz it is a sensitive issue. So I need to keep quiet, keep it as a secret and act as if nothing has happened. How strange... and when people found out about it, they either blame me for not telling them earlier, or they immediately start saying bad things about me... and came up with all sorts of reason on why I dun deserve the good thing... instead of sparing a thought on what I have done to earn it...

sad to think of what kind of world we live in today. i did no wrong, but still have to keep quiet and act as if I chop down a cherry tree. i dun think it is an act of being humble... but more of protecting myself from those that cannot bear the thought of someone else doing better than them or getting better things than them.

in the end... i have little joy in that good thing happening to me. i keep playing it down... tell people that it dun matter.... it is minor... not a big deal... blah blah blah....

Welcome to the corporate world...


Comments: Post a Comment